Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Can’t a Book Just Be a Book?

This should be a short rant that hopefully won’t piss too many people off…that being said…

Is anyone else just a bit tired of all the cross media ‘pollination’ going on? Can a successful SFF work remain only in book form? Does it have to become a comic, graphic novel, animated series, soundtrack, or movie? Am I the only one who’s a bit tired and insulted by apparent need ruin my imagination? Simply said, no graphic comic or movie will ever exceed the images I create in my head. If I enjoy it in book form, I don’t want to see it in any other form. Now, I will admit, Peter Jackson’s LotRversion was spectacular, and I enjoyed his creation. But, the little things he did ‘wrong’ still annoy me, and now my original mental images of the series are forever polluted by his production, however well done it was.

Yes, I know that it brings more popularity and notoriety to the genre, which insures its survival and helps to guarantee there is a large number of authors out there producing quality and entertaining stuff – victory through numbers. But I for one don’t cheer with the latest announcement of a ‘new’ movie or comic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN. I think all these movies made out of books are killing our imaginations. And think what this is doing to the next generation that didn't have the opportunity to read the book before it had a movie poster cover... My imagination is way better than any movie will ever compete with. I think it's because I read all those SFF books growing up without pictures!

Neth said...

Yep, the increased reflex and hand-eye coordination that the 'younger' generation are getting from games and other 'plugged-in' media is no compensation for the lost imagination.

Most movie scenes (that are directed towards youngsters) these days are not longer than a minute and a half - they don't have the attention span and grow bored when they are longer. Sad.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...