Friday, October 05, 2012

Unfettered Anthology with New Wheel of Time Story (and others)

Unfettered edited by Shawn Speakman came about as a project to help Speakman pay off debts from a serious medical condition he has struggled with. Speakman is a bit of industry insider since he runs The Signed Page and many authors volunteered stories to help. Early inidcations had me excited so it was an anthology that I had my eye - good cause or not, it has a great lineup.
 
Now a full table of contents has been revealed that includes a few suprises. The biggest one that caught my mind is "River of Souls" by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. Clearly it's a Wheel of Time short story/novella or similar and Jason from Dragonmount tweeted it was related to A Memory of Light (Indiebound, Book Depository, Amazon) in some way. But right now any details are still haven't gone public. My guess is it's a short story set after events in A Memory of Light and the Wheel of Time series, but that's only a guess - I sure hope its not simply an excerpt (unlikely since the description of Unfettered calls them all original stories).
 
Anyway, I'm not more excited and have just pre-ordered my copy of Unfettered. You should do the same. And check out that table of contents - it's full of goodies that go well beyond Wheel of Time (there's Terry Brooks and Shannara, Patrick Rothfuss, Tad Williams, Daniel Abraham, Jacqueline Carey, and many more).

EDIT: The point of view for the Wheel of Time story is Demandred and it is a deleted scene(s) from A Memory of Light. Below is a quote from a Torchat event:

“River of Souls,” the forthcoming Wheel of Time short story featured in Unfettered is a collection of scenes that illustrate Demandred/Bao the Wyld’s story leading up to A Memory of Light.

4 comments:

Sascha Walter said...

Damn, I would really like to get this book. Unfortunately I am located in Germany and do not have a credit card or paypal. It is not listed on Amazon Germany and somehow I think it will be. So I think I will have to give this one a pass, which I really regret.

Neth said...

Hi Sascha,

I imagine that if you contact Shawn directly he'll figure something out for you. I doubt that it'll be through Amazon, but I'm sure he's dealt with this issue with The Signed Page and probably has a plan.

Neth said...

So, the word on the street is that the Wheel of Time story is a chapter from A Memory of Light that was deleted and then re-written a bit to be a short story. Sanderson is recording a video that discussed it on Tuesday (tomorrow) and so we should have more details tomorrow night.

Neth said...

And here's the details from Brandon. It is a deleted scene (or series of scenes) from A Memory of Light. It sounds pretty great to me.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=840

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...