Friday, January 02, 2015

Mini-Review: Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines

Jim C. Hines is one of those authors I've meant to read for a long time, but just never got around to it. I've enjoyed his blog and Twitter feed for years, I even won a contest for an autographed copy of Goblin Quest years ago. And yet I've never gotten around to reading one of his books.

I’m happy to say that changed with Libriomancer (first book in the Magic Ex Libris series), and while it was ‘worth the wait’, it also points out that I shouldn't have waited so long. There are many reviews of Libriomancer out there, I don’t have much to add, so this will be short. I enjoyed it…a lot. This was just what I needed – a quick, fun and adventurous read. It pays homage to science fiction and fantasy books of all ages, and really speaks to all of us dreamers who have always wished (often secretly and sometime overtly) that we could have those magic powers, play with those ‘wonderful toys’, etc. What would we do with that gift? Well, maybe we’d save the world from evil magician commanding a legion of powerful vampires and robotic automatons (OK, legion is bit big, but you get the picture).

This a fun book written by someone who is reveling in being a fan. The love of genre and secretive dreaming fans have all experienced are overflowing in this book. In short, it was just what I was looking for, and now I want more.

The great news is that a sequel, Codex Born, is out there now and Unbound will hit the stores in January, 2015. I can’t wait!





3 comments:

Bob/Sally said...

Good to hear. I'm in the same spot, having wanted to give him a read for while, following his blog, and having several titles on the shelf . . . all unread. Maybe this will be his year. :)

Nada Adel said...

Interesting comment though your review hasn't given me an idea about what the book is about, like a synopsis.

Neth said...

@Nada

I generally don't do plot summaries in reviews - to me they just waste space and I there are plenty available in the synopsis and other reviews. My reviews are my thoughts, comments, opinions about a book. Sometimes I address specific issues and plots within books, and sometimes I stay very general. It just varies.

Hopefully, you find my approach of value, but if not, the good news is that there are a lot venues out there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...