Saturday, January 30, 2010

Amazon = Idjits

To get caught up check out these various discussions. Basically all Macmillan books have been taken off of Amazon.com (these include titles from the popular SFF publisher Tor). There are apparently some hard-ball negotiations over ebook pricing going between Amazon and Macmillan on both sides and it appears that Amazon went nuclear on this. After the whole fiasco where they dropped GLBT-related books from their search engines and deleted 1984 from people’s Kindle without bothering to tell them about it, I’m getting pretty fed up with Amazon. I’ll be waiting to see what details emerge, but I’ll likely be removing all Amazon links from this blog and taking my book-buying business elsewhere.

EDIT: And the story from John Sargent, the CEO of Macmillan Books (Amazon isn't looking any better)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you unless I hear of a sensible resolution to this, I'm likely to look somewhere other than Amazon for my book purchases in the future. A shame because I have had some very good experiences of Amazon in the past.

ediFanoB said...

I live in Germany and must admit that I buy more and more books over at Book Depository UK.
They deliver to many countries.
In case you live in USA you should take in consideration Book Depository com.

writtenwyrdd said...

I understand that other online stores offer the super saver shipping that makes Amazon so popular, so I'm thinking of ceasing business with Amazon. (And I've done a LOT of business with them.)

I posted teh response to my email about this sudden disappearance of Macmillan books from the lists on my blog.

And thanks for stopping by my blog, by the way.

writtenwyrdd said...

You might also appreciate Charles Stross' take on the fight, which is explained here:
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/01/amazon-macmillan-an-outsiders.html

AprilFool said...

This just makes me glad I got a Nook instead of a Kindle.

writtenwyrdd said...

Washington Post says Amazon caved. Article here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/31/AR2010013101774.html

Salt-Man Z said...

Well, if (as the Washington Post claims) Amazon has indeed capitulated to MacMillan, their website inventory has yet to reflect that fact. Still no Tor books in sight.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...