Monday, April 03, 2006


Christopher Moore Book Signing

A couple days ago I went to a book signing at a local indie book store for Christopher Moore. He is touring right now in support of his latest release, A Dirty Job. I haven’t read any of his books, but I heard an interview on NPR and the premise of his book(s) and sense of humor intrigued me. His books include Lamb : The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Paland Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Singsand are of a humorous nature, as you may have guessed from their titles. When he wrote his first novel, Practical Demonkeeping, his goal (not that he necessary believes he achieved it) was “to do for horror what Douglas Adams did for Science Fiction”. I was not disappointed that I chose to spend a Friday evening at this book signing.

I haven’t been to many book signings, but I can say that this was the most entertaining one I’ve attended. It was a mix of a stand-up comedy routine, typical book signing, and his personal lessons on the end of life and hospice care. I did enjoy his sense of humor quite a bit – though not as much as some of his bigger fans who clearly would have laughed if Moore said nothing, committed suicide, or flung excrement at them. Moore himself was very personable, seemed to genuinely enjoy speaking to his fans, encouraged his fans to email him, and seems (to me anyway) to be a victim of adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I had signing ticket number 92, and Moore was still in good spirits and engaging when it was finally my turn – and there were still a good 30 people to go.

As I mention above, I haven’t read any of his books, but after attending the signing, I intend to.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...