Monday, August 11, 2008

Links to Waste Time With

My (un)usual round-up of links that have kept me interested in the last week or so.
  • The Hugo Awards were announced on Saturday. The biggest surprise to me is that they weren’t so horrible in their choices – I am especially happy that John Scalzi unseated Dave Langford for best fan writer. There is always interesting discussion on the results – and I find the Westeros discussion of most interest, as usual. I found this post by Patrick Nielsen Hayden very interesting as it indicates the ‘age-ist’ voting tendencies of both the Hugos and Nebulas – younger authors need not get their hopes up. I've written of my opinion of SFF Awards before and I see no reason to change that opinion.

  • This was getting a lot of attention for a while, but I’m happy it’s fading away.

3 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Great link to the 'review or not a review' post...I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. Definitely a lot of animosity out there for the blogosphere and yet some very valid points on all sides of the issue. I was quite entertained.

I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on Man on the Ceiling. I read it several months ago and still haven't posted a review as I have such a whirlwind of thoughts about it.

Neth said...

-Carl, I've seen the upcoming questions that John is going to ask, some of them are very interesting, so it's a blog to follow.

I've only just started, but I think Man on the Ceiling will really creep me out. Since becoming a father I've become surprisingly more (to me anyway) sensitive to deaths of children in a way that I wouldn't have been able to understand before becoming a father. Due to that, I think I may react strongly to this book - and I'm only about 30 pages into it.

RobB said...

>>This was getting a lot of attention for a while, but I’m happy it’s fading away.

Sure, it was fading away until you linked to it today! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...