Monday, December 24, 2012

A Few Odds and Ends of Christmas Cheer

So, my last post was back in November and at that time I was predicting a review in about a week. Well, that obviously didn’t happen. There are reasons of course, there are always reasons. I could blame it on the near constant sickness in the house for several weeks and my total lack of sleep during that time. I could also blame it on crazy work scheduled before the holidays begin. As well as the onslaught of our usual December visitors. And each is certainly true. Though the most true reason is that I received my copy of A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (Indiebound, Book Depository, Amazon) and it consumed me during my sickness-weakened state. I still managed to read all 900+ pages of it in a week, but it took a lot out of me doing so. I’ve been waiting for this book since I first picked up The Eye of the World (Indiebound, Book Depository, Amazon) back in 1994 and I must say that it ended well and appropriately. I’m still digesting that and I have numerous posts that I’ll write about A Memory of Light and The Wheel of Time, but not until January 8 and later.
 
Anyway, here are a few odds and ends to show that I’m still alive.
 
 
  • Amazing Stories is getting a reboot and is going live soon. There will be a bunch of different contributors, ranging from well-known authors to bloggers who never seen to get much attention (I’m referring to myself, though my involvement won’t be huge – just an occasional post). The press release is below.
 
 
The latest round of books received:
 
Books Received: November 26 - December 23, 2012
 
 
I should probably figure out a way to list books I get digitally since I’m getting quite a few that way these days. But don’t expect it soon.
 
 
Amazing Stories Press Release:
 
Amazing Stories, the world's first science fiction magazine, opens for Beta Testing of Phase 1 on Wednesday, January 2nd, 2013.
Fifty+ Writers Sign On to provide genre-related content! 
Experimenter Publishing Company
Hillsboro, NH
December 20, 2012
On Wednesday, January 2nd, 2013, I will be joined by more than 50 other writers from around the blogosphere to help launch the Beta Test of Phase 1 of the return of Amazing Stories.
Amazing Stories was the world's first science fiction magazine.  Published by Hugo Gernsback, the Father of Science Fiction, the magazine created the genre's first home and was instrumental in helping to establish science fiction fandom the fandom from which all other fandoms have evolved.
The magazine itself ceased publication in 2005; in 2008 the new publisher, Steve Davidson, discovered that the trademarks had lapsed and applied for them.  The marks were finally granted in 2011.
Phase 1 introduces the social networking aspects of the site and the Blog Team, more than 50 authors, artists, collectors, editors, pod casters, designers and bloggers who will address 14 different subjects on a regular basis SF, Fantasy & Horror literature, anime, gaming, film, television, the visual arts, audio works, the pulps, comics, fandom, science and publishing. 
Those wishing to participate in the Beta Test should request an invite by emailing the publisher, Steve Davidson.
 
 
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Bob/Sally said...

Oh, I can think of worse things than "evil bastard" at the moment, but glad to know you felt it "ended well and appropriately."

I suspect I may be *cough cough* suddenly ill from work the afternoon it hits stores. :)

Neth said...

That was my intent - only I'd already exhausted my sick time and I had very little vacation left to carry me through the holidays. Then I actually got sick.

I could only conclude that the Dark One himself wanted to keep me from reading - I read anyway.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...