Monday, April 13, 2015

Mini-Review: Fool’s Errand by Robin Hobb

The books of Robin Hobb are some that have been sitting there on the shelf for a long time. I first read The Farseer Trilogy nearly 15 years ago and followed relatively quickly with The Liveship Traders Trilogy. I’ve always meant to read the books in The Tawny Man Trilogy, but for whatever reason, it hasn’t happened. And now, with Hobb returning to the story of Fitz in a new trilogy (The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy – first book Fool’s Assassin), and seeing people whose opinions I trust say how great that return is, I finally took the plunge with Fool’s Errand, the first book of The Tawny Man Trilogy.

So, what’s it like to return to the story of someone after a 15 year break? Well, when your reading ‘old-fashioned’, 1990’s/early 2000’s era fantasy, it works great. Fool’s Errand is quite long for the story that’s told – much of it is spent re-introducing the reader to Fitz and others, which is exactly what I needed. There are hints and remembrance of the Farseer books, and I vaguely remember what happened, but only in broad terms. So, the details don’t mean much, while providing me what I need to move on.

While I often avoid traditionally, BFF (big, fat fantasy) books, I can see a real value in the level of immersion that it provides. You really get to know Fitz, see what drives him, understand those motivations, and therefore, share in the journey – tragic or triumphant. This further impacted by the first-person narration that Hobb does so well.

As I read Fool’s Assassin, I felt a lot of nostalgia – this is in part driven to me searching my memory for books read 15 years ago, and in part because the style of Fool’s Errand feels like something from the past in comparison with so many of the books I read today. And it was like snuggling down into an especially comfortable bed and piling on those warm, soft blankets – it was pleasure.

Looking up, I see that this ‘review’ has rambled on about how I felt about reading the book, without much actual discussion of the book itself. Well, take it or leave it – most of you reading this review have probably read Fool’s Errand, or at least one book in The Farseer Trilogy. You are ‘the choir’. There’s a damn good chance that reading this review is your own form of nostalgia. Isn’t it great?



So, do I have you feeling all warm and fuzzy about a book that’s about an assassin coming out of retirement? Returning to the court that ‘executed’ him in spite of him saving the kingdom? As you remember The Farseer Trilogy, do you think this one is going to turn out well?

Warm and fuzzy.


The Farseer Trilogy
Assassin’s Apprentice (Indiebound, Book Depository, Amazon)
Royal Assassin (Indiebound, Book Depository, Amazon)
Assassin’s Quest (Indiebound, Book Depository, Amazon)

The Liveship Traders
Ship of Magic (Indiebound, Book Depository, Amazon)
Ship of Destiny (Indiebound, Book Depository, Amazon)

The Tawney Man Trilogy
Fool’s Errand (Indiebound, Book Depository, Amazon)

Fitz and the Fool Trilogy
Fool’s Assassin (Indiebound, Book Depository, Amazon)



1 comment:

Allan said...

You're in for an emotional roller coaster ride. I wish I was reading the Tawny Man Trilogy for the first time again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...