Friday, March 24, 2006

God’s Speed Robert Jordan

James Oliver Rigney, known to countless fans as Robert Jordan, has sent Locus a tragic letter regarding his health and he confirms it at his blog. Rumors have abounded for years that RJ has cancer and will be unable to finish his goliath series, The Wheel of Time. It appears that there is some truth to those rumors, though it was unknown until now. RJ has a rare blood disease that will require chemotherapy and bone marrow work. Long-term survival prospects are possible, but he has to beat the odds.

Of course my thoughts and prayers go out to RJ and his family, and I hope for a speedy and full recovery. As many others are saying, it seems that he's got the right attitude for recovery.

Interesting how a medical tragedy for a man I’ve never met helps put things in perspective. What’s the origin of my sadness for RJ – is it my selfish desire for him to finish his series, or genuine care for his well being? I hope it’s the latter, but I’d be lying if I denied the former. Health first, writing later. Good luck Mr. Jordan, and know that the thoughts and prayers of many people world wide are with you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...